Sunday 14 October 2018

Just a few thoughts.....

Today I have woken up and actually feel normal for the first time, in what feels like weeks, I have no headache, and have energy. It was 2 degrees this morning, when I woke up but now at just after 9am, it is 9 degrees and the sun is shining, and there is no rain on the radar for the week, though I never really trust the weather forecast. Yesterday I spent the day in PJ’s, and did nothing except cook dinner. Maybe I needed it, or maybe the withdrawal side effects from the meds are finally over, who knows but it feels good to wake up with some energy. Hell, we might even go out today lol. 

Yesterday while I was being a blob, I was googling (as you do, when there is nothing else to do), I came across articles and I mean many articles like hundreds of thousands about different weight loss programs and why you should do this one and that one, and thought to myself, no wonder people are so confused on what is right and wrong now…. personally, I don’t think there is any right or wrong diet or way of life or whatever you want to call it. I believe that no food is out of bounds in moderation, but that is where it starts getting complicated, those with weight issues usually have problems with the word ‘moderation’. I am the perfect example of that, I know exactly what I should and should not be eating, but I don’t/can’t do it. 

This brings me onto specific diets, low carb v higher carb etc, I found many people eating what I would call ‘higher carb’ diets but healthier carbs like fruit and higher carb vegetables and bread in moderation etc lose a lot of weight, I also see many people doing ‘lower carb/keto’ lose weight as well. What makes one right and not the other, I have no idea, we have to find what works for each person individually. For me I love lower carb not keto because you can lose weight relatively easy, and with lower carb I allow myself fruits and all vegies, but do I believe it is good long term? No because I don’t agree with the high fat that goes with it and a few other things. 

This is where moderation for me comes in, my goal is to eventually be able to eat all foods and in moderation, exercise regularly minimum 5 days a week and just enjoy life, but that is way down the track, I need to get there first.

No wonder people are so confused what diet is the best diet, those with higher carb diets swear by it, those that do keto swear by that, then there are a thousand different types of diets in-between on the spectrum, which people swear by. What happened to good old-fashioned eating, where you eat food that isn’t processed, when I was younger, I remember eating everything that grew out of the ground, or off a tree or baking that mum made but in moderation, there’s that word again moderation. But I certainly don’t remember ever having any processed food, or fast food, ok there wasn’t those foods around like they are today, people say that we lead a busier life now and that processed/fast-foods foods make life easier, but I remember my parents working long days in physical jobs and still coming home and cooking dinner, have we become lazier, or are we actually working harder, I don’t know, probably a bit of both. 

One thing I am glad I don’t live in the States, I think here in New Zealand we have a lot of processed and fast food chains, but OMG compared to the States we only have a small amount of processed foods compared to what they get there, and I cannot believe the amount of drive throughs they have, like Dunkin Donuts/Subway – it is mind boggling. 

Anyway, where is this post taking me, I have no idea really, it just got me thinking, how the weight loss industry is booming and why we can no longer keep things simple. It’s scary on how many diets/way-of-life eating there is out there, and why people that need to lose weight get so confused on what to eat and what not to eat. Why can’t we nowadays keep it simple and just eat general healthy food including all vegies, a couple servings of fruits a day, some carbs, some protein, some dairy food minimize processed food, if we all ate like that, the diet industry wouldn’t be making millions of dollars from us, and we as consumers wouldn’t be so confused on what is the right or wrong way to eat. 

When did it all start to go so wrong, that we need 50,000 different diets out there to keep healthy….


1 comment:

  1. Yes, there are many diets and people can lose weight on every single one of them. The question is which one can you stick to and carry on for life? I know I could never count calories for life or cut out fats. Low carb is good for me because it control blood sugar and therefore insulin which is fat storage hormone. Yes, I'm heavier than when I lost my weight but I'm still weigh much less than I did plus my weight doesn't fluctuate now - it stays the same unlike when I did traditional diets.

    I have a little bread now and the odd treat plus potatoes about once a week. I don't keep strict rules now but I think in the weight loss phase you have to - if you don't you are only kidding yourself. Whatever you do, chose a way of life and stick to it.

    ReplyDelete