Saturday 27 July 2019

This could take awhile....

Only typing with one finger at a time......

Surgery turned out to be more invasive than first thought, what was suppose to be one ruptured tendon, ended up being four tendons needing repairing..... the plate and screws got removed thankfully, though that was also a mission. The surgery ended up taking double the time it was meant too..... basically he fixed up my previous surgery mistake.

First photo in hospital, they couldn't get the pain under control, so was having morphine like it was candy, after a few hours, I was settled enough to go up to a ward, and ended up staying the night with a morphine pump. 
Second photo is the plate and screws that did all the damage..... basically once they opened me up, it was a bloody mess in the hand..... so did tendon grafts as well as repairs.





At home the following day, and feeling a bit better after a shower.....


Friday, I had a hand therapist appointment, where she took the back slab off, and put a  splint on. I have to wear it 24/7 for the first 6 - 8 weeks, and in a sling, when not resting it on a pillow, and then nights only for 6 - 8 weeks. Have some very small hand exercises to do every hour, and not allowed to use the hand for anything else. I am not going to lie it hurts so much.......

Making the splint....




The extension on the fingers, needs to be worn at night, so the fingers are straight, when I sleep.


 This is the hand before the splint was made and after surgery..... It ended up being a scar on the top of my hand, where the tendons were weak and needed repairs. Originally it was only suppose to be a small cut just above the index finger, where they did the tendon transfer, and underneath in the original scar where they placed the pins and screws 8 years ago.  



I am pissed cause this could have all been avoided, had the surgeon, not mucked up my previous surgery.... 8 years ago. But I need to move forward and all going well in about 12 weeks time, it will all be healed and hopefully better than before. 

Thats it for now, it has taken me forever to finish this post....

1 comment:

  1. Ouch - I'm glad it's all done but what a mission huh? Now let's hope you will be as good as new in time. Not much you can do now except relax and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete